Once again, it’s that time of the year to spread the holiday cheer. Time to let the milk of human kindness flow and share a cup of
1. Give, don’t tell. The Holy book tells us not to let the left hand know what the right one has done. If after donating four packets of unga to some children home you have to raid Facebook and Instagram with 127 photos, then that’s not charity but narcissism.Keep photos to the minimum-it not about you. Blessed is the hand that give-unless it comes with a selfie stick.
2. Don’t necessarily give what you don’t need. A bone to the dog isn’t charity. Charity is sharing that bone with the dog when you are just as a hungry as the dog.
3. Dont give the worst you have.Prime up what you are giving. If you are donating your children’s old clothes, darn them first. Replace lost buttons. Wash them well-it’s time to spread the cheer, not bugs.
4. Follow up on the cause you are giving to-this world is full of trickery. Giving to a cause like ‘Kick Smallpox out of Africa’ is an outright con-Small pox was eradicated from this world decades age.
5. Photographs of children expose them to various risks like identity theft, paedophiles, cyber bullying etc. Seek permission to use photos of children. If you can avoid them the better.
6. Charity is not about pity but love. The poor need not only your food but time too. So don’t just give your money but time too. Spend an afternoon with the children or the infirm at the hospice .Walk a mile with them-you will appreciate good health better.
7. Don’t discriminate. Insisting that because you are Pentecostal you can’t donate to a Catholic children’s home because Catholics take wine is outright silly. Poverty has no religion. I have not even touched petty political schisms.
8. Put the best interests of the recipients at heart. Instead of asking yourself-what is going to happen to me if I give-ask yourself-what is going to happen to them if I don’t give.
9. Do more. Charity is not a solution to poverty. Can you employ that young man rescued from the streets in your shamba? Go ahead.Its more helpful than tokens.
10. Don’t prescribe. Just because you
Be charitable-and enjoy your holidays.